Starting this week from 7-9 December 2015, about 45 participants working in peace support operations in various organizations in East and West Africa are scheduled to meet in Dakar, Senegal for the Child Protection in Africa Union Peace Support Operations Knowledge and Learning Event.
Child protection is a shared responsibility that requires the coordination of many actors. These actors range from:
- Peace support operations personnel (military, police and civilian)
- Humanitarian organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations
- Peacekeeping training centres and UN Missions
- The African Union, the Regional Economic Committee (RECs) and Regional Mechanisms,
- Local community
- Other stakeholders
It is in line with this multi-dimensional nature of peace support operations that representatives from the above sectors will seek to share, inform and exchange experiences and lessons on pertinent issues that they face in their every duties.
Specific objectives of the event will be to:
- Share and discuss information on research, current issues and best practices on child protection
- Review child protection training impact, opportunities and challenges while showcasing new ideas and trends in training
- Build capacity of participants around various child protection in peace support operations issues
- Create an opportunity for the development of communities of practice and enhance communications and knowledge sharing amongst Peace Support Operation actors.
Among the topics that will be discussed at the event include: A look at South Sudan – case study on Family Tracing and Reunification (FTR) and Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism (MRM); Child protection training’s and approaches – case studies from various organizations; Child protection and legal issues; Impact of child protection courses – experiences and lessons from trained military personnel; Experiences with children and armed conflict; Experiences on the establishment of the child protection unit at the Uganda People’s Defence Force (UPDF), among others.
More details about the event including the session speakers can be found here: Child Protection in AU Peace Support Operations Knowledge and Learning Event